I’m definitely not in America anymore…this is Ethiopia:
- Fell asleep to the yelps of hyenas – trust me, its not like The Lion King.
- Pooped in a hole – this is something that is celebrated with a high five each time a new person enters the club.
- Slept with a mosquito net – I try to think of it as a decorative poster bed, but it still didn’t prevent a spider the size of my palm from trying to sleep with me.
- Ate pasta for breakfast…two days in a row – I have since told my wonderful host family that Americans tend to eat pasta for lunch and dinner only. Now I usually get a scrambled egg sandwich.
- Enjoyed tea – I now drink three cups a day and cannot remember a time when this wasn’t so : )
- Took a bucket bath – sucked the first time because the water was cold. Used boiled water the second time and it was glorious.
- Ate raw sugarcane – tasty, but not worth the effort.
- Went for a walk with a bunch of other färänji (foreigners) and had 30 kids follow us – a bit endearing, a bit annoying. Welcome to Ethiopia.
- Had a man assume he could claim me as his wife – I know I’m in Ethiopia, but this is the 21st century, women are PEOPLE not PROPERTY.
- Had a hen walk in on me going to the bathroom – this was really just comical.
I live in Ethiopia.
June 26, 2012